Topic: Sunrise

In the northern hemisphere sun rises in East. Somebody told me that Sun rises in West in southern hemisphere. Is it true? I am totally confused....

Re: Sunrise

No reply yet?
It has kept me still confused....

दक्षिण गोलार्धातून सूर्य पश्चिमेला उगवताना दिसतो हे विधान पुर्णपणे चुकीचे आहे.

सूर्य पूर्वेला उगवून पश्चिमेला माळताना दिसतो याचे कारण अर्थातच पृथ्वी ही स्वतःभोवती पश्चिमेकडून पूर्वेकडे फिरते हे आहे. जर सूर्य पश्चिमेला उगवताना दिसायला हवा असला तर पृथ्वी ही स्वतःभोवती पूर्वेकडून पश्चिमेकडे फिरायला हवी. उत्तर गोलार्धासाठी काय किंवा दक्षिण गोलार्धासाठी काय, पृथ्वी ही एकसंधपणे स्वतःभोवती पश्चिमेकडून पूर्वेलाच फिरत असते. त्यामुळे सूर्य हा कोणत्याही गोलार्धात पूर्वेलाच उगवताना दिसतो. (फरक इतकाच की जसे आपण अधिकाधिक दक्षिणेला जाऊ, तसे सूर्याचे आकाशातले रोजचे भ्रमण हे अधिकाधिक उत्तरेहून होत असल्याचे दिसून येईल.)

Pl visit the link

http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=270840

Same topic is discussed.....

I remember an interesting anecdote told by Prof. Jean-Claude Pecker (distinguished astronomer) in a conference held in Mumbai to felicitate Prof. J.V.Narlikar (2003). 

Prof. Pecker was asked the same question by one of the politicians. Prof. Pecker suggested the politician to go to equator and stand on the line of equator with his one foot in northern hemisphere and the other in southern hemisphere. In this position, politician was supposed to observe the sunrise.

If Sun rises in East for northern hemisphere and in West for southern hemisphere, then the politician should see two Suns rising – one in East and one in West.

I do not know whether the politician tried this or not….

Last edited by rajeev (04-08-2010 <> 09:16:45 AM)

Thanks. Now I am no more confused.....(at least with this topic).